Walk with Him Wednesdays

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Marathon #12 Goal Achieved

My first marathon was Rocket City in Huntsville, AL. I chose this one for my first because this is my hometown, and anywhere on the course, I know where I am.  To finish at home was perfect. I had traveled all year, seen beautiful places, met awesome people, made so many memories. So to circle back to achieve goal, was wonderful. So many familiar faces!  I started out, again, with the 5:30 pacer.  I lost them as we were leaving the gardens, I finished about 5 minutes after them, not so bad.  Rocket City starts in the heart of Huntsville, at the Von Braun Center, and finishes inside.  This year we finished in the south hall, rather than the arena.  The course was modified a bit also because of construction.  First half still runs through downtown, over to five points, through Lee High School, and surrounding neighborhoods then back to downtown.  Second half takes you past Lowe mill area, Old Westlawn Middle, over the one serious hill into the Space and Rocket Center.This is one of my favorite parts of race, we always get "rocket pictures", no other race I have run offers those.  Then on to the Botanical Gardens, which is decorated for Christmas.  The lights are usually on, but they don't play the music.  I wish they would.  This is where I usually lose my pace group and this year was no different.  We come out around mile 21, and that is where I usually have to give myself a major pep talk.  Through the neighborhoods and past my brothers elementary school gives me time to prepare for a strong-ish finish.  Since the course was modified this year, the Grim Reaper was not at mile 23, I was very disappointed!  I hoped there would be beer at mile 24, and yay, there was.  My hubs was also there at mile 24, in the Lowe Mill district. He handed me a coke, so good at that point!  My only gripe with the changes this year was that we had to run all the way around Big Spring Park, which is in front of VBC. So close to the finish, so very close, and yet still running.  I finished at 5:35, which I thought was really good considering this was #12 and I was dang tired!

How did I feel to complete goal?  RELIEVED!  There was a moment of, "I did it!", but mostly I was just tired and ready to be done.  On to 2020.....

No comments:

Post a Comment