Walk with Him Wednesdays

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Am I a runner?

I have always wanted to be a runner.  I wanted to run the Boston Marathon just once in my life.  However, wanting and doing do not always co-exist.  I tried on my own, but it really is so much easier to excuse yourself from hard work.  I work with a woman who started running/walking seriously a year ago.  She invited a number of us to do some "fun runs" with her that a local business sponsors during the summer.  First, summer in the south is smotheringly hot and humid.  Second, I am no longer considered a spring chicken.  Third, did I mention summers in the south suck?!?!  I do not do well in the heat; cramps, headache, nausea.  I usually hide with the a/c from April through September.  This year, nope!  I strapped on my Sketchers in mid-July and started with a 3-mile "fun run".  And, surprise!  It was fun!  I missed the next run because of vacation bible school, as director, I kind of had to be there.  But every Thursday since I have run/walked.  Then, oh my, I decided to get into training for a 5k race in October.  Who would have thought?  Well, I did, but having someone every day encouraging me and running with me, has been a huge help.  So now, three days a week it's interval training, two days of swimming, a rest day, and a 45 minute walk day.  I have always been a all or nothing kind of girl....and this time, I am all in!


 
Annie is learning to be my running buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment